Angela N. Johnson, MSE, PMP, RAC
[edujob][edujobitem title=”Doctorate of Philosophy in Technical Communication: Rhetoric of Science & Healthcare” period=”Expected 2018″]Texas Tech University (TTU), Lubbock, TX, USA[/edujobitem]
[edujobitem title=”Master of Materials Science & Engineering” period=”Awarded 2013″]North Carolina State University (NSCU), Raleigh, NC, USA[/edujobitem]
[edujobitem title=”Post-Grad Chemistry Transfer Program” period=”Completed 2010-2011″] University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW), Wilmington, NC, USA[/edujobitem]
[edujobitem title=”Bachelors of Fine Arts & Communications: Textiles” period=”Awarded 2006″]East Carolina University (ECU), Greenville, NC, USA[/edujobitem][/edujob]
[toggle title=”Senior Manager Clinical Affairs Operations, Technology and Medical Innovation Organization, GE Healthcare, Milwaukee, WI (2017-Present)”]
Lead all operational functions to support clinical research programs with academic partners, including direct functional management of a team of 20+ biostatisticians, medical writers, data managers, project coordinators, and clinical research associates.
- Implemented Oracle Cloud EDC system for Clinical Research
- Lead development of SOPs
- Participated in site CAPA processes
- Conducted training and onboarding for functional team of 20+
- Collaboratively developed vendor contracts with Contract Research Organizations and approved suppliers
[toggle title=”Senior Professional Band Clinical Writer, Technology and Medical Innovation Organization, GE Healthcare, Milwaukee, WI (2013-2017)”]
Worked with global teams to develop and write clinical trial documentation for global multi-site clinical trials.
- Collaboratively write and revise clinical study documentation (protocols/amendments, consents, reports, IBs, etc.) for diagnostic radiology, oncology, contrast/radiopharmaceutical, combination product studies
- Generate reports, clinical summaries, and regulatory modules, in collaboration with regulatory affairs
- Participate in research determination and research roadmap strategic planning operating mechanisms
- Principal Writer for the GE-NFL Head Health Initiative mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) trials and GE-Abbott biomarker collaboration, including participating in the GE-NFL Medical Advisory Board (MAB)
- Manage writing assignments and professional growth opportunities (training/speaking) for junior writers
- Engage directly with laboratory scientists and engineers to develop supporting documentation for complex products, chemical entities, and hardware/software, including investigator brochure and labeling
- Lead interdisciplinary teams to develop new SOPs, generate new templates, implement document lifecycle planning, and address CAPAs for clinical trial templates/quality procedures in the US, China, and EU
- Spearheaded implementation of the GE Global Clinical Writing Center of Excellence (COE) web portal and GE Investigator-Initiated Researcher Web Portal
Subject matter expert (SME) on protocols and documentation for external (US FDA, EU G-Med) audits[/toggle]
[toggle title=”Medical Writer, Remote Clinical Services Organization, Bioon Group Ltd, Shanghai, China (2010-2013)”]
Wrote English-language clinical trial documents and revised Chinese-to-English protocol translations, regulatory submissions, and publication materials for Import and Local Manufacturing Devices (Classes I-III) and pharmaceutical trials (primarily domestic phase I-III, and international Phase IV trials).
- Created English-language submissions for the Chinese State Food and Drug Administration Bureau (SFDA) and other international entities in Southeast Asia and North America, including the United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA)
- Worked with Chinese writers and investigators to produce CFDA regulatory submissions.
- Worked extensively to write documentation for clinical trials through client projects, including Merck Sharp & Dohme (China) Ltd. (MSD), Sanofi-Aventis (China), Novo Nordisk Research Center (China), & others
- Wrote documents for pharmaceutical and device research involving substantial bench and animal testing for reliability, dose testing, and biocompatibility
- Create documents for CFDA High Risk and New Innovative products, ensuring that documents reflect Good Clinical Practice (GCP) requirements
Generated auxiliary materials in English to support clinical studies for medical devices, including MS PowerPoint slide decks, abstracts, posters, figures, and publications[/toggle]
[toggle title=”Senior Technical Writer, Healthcare Information Technology, EIS Data Systems, Inc., Wilmington, NC (2008-2010)”]
Wrote a variety of documents to promote healthcare and higher education HIPAA-compliant internet technology solutions to enterprise-level clients, including pharmaceutical companies, major CROs, hospitals, physician franchises, state and local health departments, federal health programs, and community college systems.
- Wrote client regulatory documents to fulfill US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requirements and requirements of Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) and state agencies, as needed
- Wrote responses to Requests for Proposals (RFPs), vendor grants, and marketing subsidies, including annual Hewlett-Packard and Ingram-Micro healthcare and higher education grants
- Provided regulatory documentation for a broad array of mid-sized medical device and healthcare clients, including US FDA 510(k) clearance and HIPAA-compliant electronic medical records (EMR) systems
- Ensured complete documentation and version control during the document lifecycle
- Provided training to junior members of the technical writing and marketing teams
[toggle title=”Creative Director, Marketing Department, Queensboro Industrial, Wilmington, NC (2007-2008)”]
Directed documentation and figure generation services supporting a broad array of mid-sized and enterprise-level clients, including medical, research, and healthcare organizations.
- Worked directly with senior management and client investigators to write documentation on tight deadlines, often working on multiple projects with overlapping milestones
- Ensured accurate translation of technical specifications to marketing materials
- Worked to improve document tracking and revision system to shorten the time-to-deliverable completion
[toggle title=”Textiles Implementation, Dimension Design, Northbrook, IL (2006-2007)”]
Worked in multi-lingual teams to design and construct industrial textile (sewn) solutions for well-known pharmaceutical, medical device, and other technology companies, including well-known Fortune 500 clients Pfizer, Zeiss, Toshiba, GE, Samsung, and others (e.g., VELCADE®/bortezomib) (Please note; Full-time from Sept 2006-Jan 2007).
Worked with engineering teams to construct and test industrial textile products[/toggle]
[toggle title=”CAD/Technical Writer, Product Development Department, Parrott Canvas, Inc. (2004-2006)”]
Provided product design specifications, tolerance drawings, manufacturing protocols, and packaging elements for a variety of industrial textile products for industry clients such as Pfizer, Corning, Glen Raven Mills, and others.
- Wrote documents and generated preliminary CAD drawings to support manufacturing processes of industrial textile products, including significant work in textile-based medical and fiber-optics.
[edujob][edujobitem title=”Part-time Cont. Education Instructor and Curriculum Designer” period=”2011-2013″]Texas Tech University (TTU), Coastal Carolina Community College[/edujobitem]
[edujobitem title=”Graduate Teaching Assistant” period=”2010-2011″]University of North Carolina at Wilmington[/edujobitem][/edujob]
- CE141 Introductory Photoshop – Introduces students to basic functions of photo editing and image manipulation in Adobe Photoshop. No previous Photoshop experience is required.
- CE142 Intermediate Photoshop – Students will complete practical projects using basic functions, including photo editing and image manipulation. Students will be introduces to paths, vectors, levels, and working with color in Photoshop to take their skills to the next level. Previous completion of CE140 or equivalent Adobe Photoshop experience is required.
- CE143 Photoshop for Small Business – Students will learn to use Photoshop for business applications, including developing professional identity through logos, business cards, and other visual media. We will also address practical applications such as how and where to affordably print or publish your materials. No previous Adobe Photoshop experience is required.
- CE161 Introduction to Web Design – Introduces students to basic HTML, CSS, forms and templates for web design. Students will build a website as part of the course. No previous wed design experience is required.
- CE162 Intermediate Web Design – Students will complete practical projects using HTML, CSS, and web design packages, including WordPress and its plugins. Students will create a functional website with advanced forms and features. Previous completion of CE161 or equivalent web design experience is required.
- CE163 Web Design for Small Business – Students work hands-on to learn basic web design and maintenance tools to create their own highly functional websites for small business using the WordPress Platform. We will also address practical applications such as how and where to affordably print or publish your materials. No previous Adobe Photoshop experience is required.
- CE111 Introduction to MS Word – Students will learn to create documents by applying text, styles, and tables using Microsoft Word. No previous MS Word experience is required.
- CHEM 101 Introductory Chemistry I (GTA)
- CHEM 102 Introductory Chemistry II (GTA)
- CHEM 201 Organic Chemistry I (GTA)
- CHEM 202 Organic Chemistry II (GTA)
- Qi W., Davis H. W., Chu Z., Vallabhapurapu, S. D., Hussain N., Franco R. S., Morris J. C., Johnson A. N., Olowokure, O. O. Combined effect of gemcitabine (GEM) and sapC-DOPS nanovesicles on pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) in mice. 2018 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, a Journal of Clinical Oncology supplement. [accepted].
- Cruze C. A., Rixe O., Morris J. C., Puduvalli V. K., Villano J. L., Wise-Draper T. M., Johnson A. N., Wesolowski R., Thompson G. A.. Allometric scaling of preclinical pharmacokinetic and toxicokinetic parameters to predict clinical pharmacokinetics of BXQ-350 saposin C protein-phosphatidylserine nanovesicles. 2018 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, a Journal of Clinical Oncology supplement. [accepted].
- Cruze C. A., Rixe O., Morris J. C., Puduvalli V. K., Villano J. L., Wise-Draper T. M., Johnson A. N., Wesolowski R. Absence of indicators of hypercoagulability and antiphospholipid syndrome in bxq-350 first in human study. 2018 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, a Journal of Clinical Oncology supplement. [accepted].
- Rixe O., Morris J. C., Puduvalli V. K., Villano J. L., Wise-Draper T. M., Muller C., Johnson A. N., Wesolowski R., Qi X. First-in-human, first-in-class phase 1a study of BXQ-350 for solid tumors and gliomas. 2018 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, a Journal of Clinical Oncology supplement. [accepted].
- Johnson A. N. Virtual and Augmented Reality as Game-Changers in Anesthesiology: History, Applications, and Challenges for Clinical Virtuality. J Anest & Inten Care Med. 2018; 5(1) : 555652. https://juniperpublishers.com/jaicm/JAICM.MS.ID.555652.php
- Hassan A.E., Sanchez C., Johnson, A.N. (2017) Endovascular treatment outcomes using the Stroke Triage Education, Procedure Standardization, and Technology (STEPS-T) program. Interv Neuroradiol. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29119876
- Johnson, A.N. (2017). Small Organizations, Big Regulatory Strategy. Regulatory Focus. Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society. http://www.raps.org/Regulatory-Focus/Features/2017/01/30/26742/Small-Organizations-Big-Regulatory-Strategy/
- Tanenbaum, L., Tsiouris, J.A., Johnson, A.N., Naidich, T.P., DeLano, M.C., Melham, E., Quarterman, P., Parameswaran, S.X., Shankaranarayanan, A., Goyen, M., Field, A. (2017). Synthetic MRI for Clinical Neuroimaging: Results of the MAGnetic resonance Image Compilation (MAGiC) Prospective, Randomized Multi-center, Multi-reader Trial. AJNR. http://www.ajnr.org/content/early/2017/04/27/ajnr.A5227
- Johnson, A.N., Peiffer, J.S., Halmann, N., Delaney, L., Owen, C.A., Hersh, J. (2017). Ultrasound-Guided Needle Technique Accuracy: Prospective comparison of passive magnetic tracking versus unassisted echogenic needle localization. Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. 42(2):1-10. http://journals.lww.com/rapm/Abstract/onlinefirst/Ultrasound_Guided_Needle_Technique_Accuracy_.99371.aspx
- Johnson, A.N., Lauer, C., Cadogan, C. (2016). How Did You Get Here? Stories of Bench Research, Bollywood, and Stormy Epiphanies. AMWA Journal. 33(3): 118-119. http://www.amwa.org/files/Journal/2016v31n3_AroundTheCareerBlock.pdf
- Johnson, A.N. (2016). Social Norms of “Good” Design: Interdisciplinary perspectives from a survey of engineers and clinicians in bioengineering, 2016 IEEE 38th Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Orlando, FL, USA, 4337-4340. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7591687/
- Johnson, A.N. (2016) Perception and Implementation of Collaborative Documentation Technologies Among Medical Physics Educators and Industry Professionals: A Current Practice Survey.
Med. Phys. 43, 3355 (2016); http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.4955697
- Johnson, A.N. (2016) SU-F-J-227: Accuracy of Passive Magnetic Ultrasound Needle Guidance in High- Fidelity Conventional and Novel Simulated Block Approach Phantoms.
Med. Phys. 43, 3461 (2016); http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.4956135
- Johnson, A.N. (2017) “Medical Device Good Clinical Practice (GCP).” Introduction to FDA Regulation. Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society Publishing. [In Press]
- Johnson, A.N. If You Can Write a Grant, You Can Write a Pitch Deck. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2018)
- Johnson, A.N. Leaping from Desk to Podium: Essential Presentation Skills for Medical Writers. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2018)
- Johnson, A. N. Human Gene Editing and Advanced Therapies: How will FDA, EMA, and Gene Therapy Mix? Regulatory Affairs Professionals (RAPS) Convergence. 2018. Vancover, BC.
- Johnson A. N. The Gap between Clinician-Led Cell Therapy Evidence and Marketed Products: a Quasi-Experimental Comparative Pilot Study of Young Venture Clinical Development. Poster Session. American Society of Cell and Gene Therapy Annual Conference 2018.
- Rixe O., Morris J. C., Puduvalli V. K., Villano J. L., Wise-Draper T. M., Muller C., Johnson A. N., Wesolowski R., Qi X. First-in-human, first-in-class phase 1a study of BXQ-350 for solid tumors and gliomas. Poster Discussion Panel Session. American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting 2018.
- Johnson, A.N. Explore the Global Medical Writing Movement and Emerging Career Growth Opportunities. CBI Insights. Medical Writing Summit. 2017. Philadelphia, PA.
- Martin, R. Johnson, A.N. From Additive to Algorithm [Medical Device Session]. Regulatory Affairs Professionals (RAPS) Convergence. 2017. Washington DC.
- Johnson, A.N. Mentoring and Growing Medical Writing Teams [Round Table Panel) (AMWA 2017)
- Wilson, E., Hebert, K.A., Turco, T.J., Johnson, A.N., Hersh, J.K. Direct and Indirect Costs Comparison of Cardiac Diagnostic Pathway in Coronary Artery Disease: CCTA as the Optimal Gateway to ICA [abstract]. Proceedings of the 2017 American College of Cardiology (ACC) Meeting. Washington, D.C.
- Johnson, A.N., Murphy, S. Usability and Interoperability of Medical Device Software. Regulatory Affairs Professionals (RAPS) Convergence. 2016. San Jose, CA.
- Johnson, A.N. Collaborative Writing Toolkit: Results of a Survey of American Medical and Technical Writers in Health Care [Poster]. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2016)
- Johnson, A.N. It’s Time for Medical Writers to Get Big and Dirty: Writing Opportunities in Data, Biometrics, and Technology. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2016)
- Johnson, A.N., Cadogan, C., Lauer, C. Writing under Fire: Skills and Opportunities for Writing in a Crisis. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2016)
- Johnson, A.N., Bippes B. Evidence and Power: Empowering research through mixed-methods in resource-limited, feasibility, and pilot studies. Annual Conference of the American Association for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH 2016)
- Johnson, A.N., Bippes B. Picking the “Good” Drugs: Empirical evidence for the role of physician morality in prescribing new medications [Pharmacy Ethics Session]. Annual Conference of the American Association for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH 2016)
- Johnson, A.N. Accuracy of Passive Magnetic Ultrasound Needle Guidance in High-Fidelity Conventional and Novel Simulated Block Approach Phantoms. Annual Conference of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM 2016)
- Johnson, A.N. Social Norms of “Good” Design: Interdisciplinary perspectives from a survey of engineers and clinicians in bioengineering. Annual Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE/EMBS 2016)
- Johnson, A.N. Standards from the Start: A Practical Perspective on Strategic Use of CDISC Protocol Implementation Model 1.0. Clinical Data Interchange Standards Consortium (CDISC International Interchange 2015); http://www.cdisc.org/2015-International-Interchange
- Johnson, A.N. Traumatic Brain Injury Patient Narratives in Social Media. Annual Conference of the American Society of Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH 2015)
- Johnson, A.N. Social Media and Patient Communication: Writing and Research Strategies to Increase Online Impact [Poster and Oral Presentation]. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2015); www.amwa.org/Files/Events/AC2015/2015RegistrationBrochure.pdf
- Cadogan, C; Angela, A.N; Lauer, C. Transitioning Into Medical Writing for Diverse Professionals [Poster]. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2015); www.amwa.org/Files/Events/AC2015/2015RegistrationBrochure.pdf
- Johnson, A.N. How To: A Practical Introduction to the Language and Rhetoric of Medical Device Software [Poster and Oral Presentation]. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2014); www.amwa.org/files/events/ac2014/amwaregistrationbrochure2014.pdf
- Johnson, A.N; Cadogan, C; Wang, X. From R&D to Clinical Trials: Medical Writing Strategies for Global Teams [Poster and Oral Presentation]. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2014); www.amwa.org/files/events/ac2014/amwaregistrationbrochure2014.pdf
- Johnson, A.N. Hands-on Demonstration: Building and Growing Medical Writing Websites Using Open Source Content Management Systems (CMS) [Workshop]. Annual Conference of the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA 2013); www.amwa.org/files/events/ac2014/amwaregistrationbrochure2014.pdf
- Medicine. Wolters Kluwer Health. Academic Editor and Manuscript Reviewer. (2012-Present)
- Molecular Therapy. Reviewer (2017-present)
- Neurology. Reviewer. (2012-present)
- American Society of Cell and Gene Therapy (ASGCT). Government Relations Committee Member (2018-2020)
- Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP), Educational Board Member (2015-16)
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM), Historical Board Member (2016-2017)
- ISO/IEEE 11073 Personal Health Data (PHD) Interoperability Standards, Working Group Member (2015-2016)
- GE-NFL Head Health Initiative, Medial Advisory Board Writer (2014-2016)
- Association for Clinical Research (ACRP), Co-Chair Educational Committee, Greater Chicago Area (2015-2016)
- Texas Tech University Humanities Center, Synoptics Wordscape Project (2015)
- American Medical Writers Association (AMWA), Online Resources/Web Development Committee (2014-2015)
- American Medical Writers Association (AMWA), Online Community/Web Development Committee (2013-2014)
Funding and Awards
- Lucien Levy Award – Best Original Research Article | 2017, American Journal of Neuroradiology (AJNR)
- Regulatory Affairs Convergence Faculty Speaker Honorarium ($500) | 2016, Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society (RAPS), San Jose, CA
- GE Health Analytics Hackathon (Cardiac CAD in R) 1st place ($500) | 2016, Science and Technology Week, GE Healthcare, Waukesha, WI
- GE makerPOSSIBLE: Laser Cut Bridge Challenge (“The Art of Biomechanics”) – 1st place in Artistry category ($250) | 2016, Science and Technology Week, GE Healthcare, Waukesha, WI
- Employee Tuition Fellowship ($7,500/yr, 4 years) | 2013-18, GE Healthcare, Waukesha, WI
- Ralph W. Brauer Fellowship (awarded in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Proteomics; $1300) | 2010, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Wilmington, NC
- East Carolina Academic Merit Fellow ($20,000) | 2003, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC
- Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC-US) | Active 2015 – Present | Regulatory Affairs professionals Association (RAPS)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) | Active 2012 – Present | Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials | Completed 2016 | Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Six Sigma Green Belt course | Completed 2016 | GE Crotonville, Healthcare Institute (HCI), Watertown, WI
- Operations Management | Completed 2016 | University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- Private Equity and Venture Capital Management | Completed 2015 | Università Bocconi, Italy
- High Speed Project Management Certificate | Completed 2013 | University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- Project Management Certificate | Completed 2008 | Cape Fear Community College, Wilmington, NC
- Insight! Milwaukee (2016). Volunteered in health career coaching for K9-12.
- Jubilant Kid’s Foundation of Kenya (2015-2016). Volunteered creating technology resources and fundraising (http://www.jubilantkidsfoundation.org/)
- GE-United Way Charity Drive, Milwaukee, WI (2013-2016). Volunteered in organizing online resources for charity drive.
- Volunteer ASVAB Tutor (Mathematics/Physics) through CL Community Services, Wilmington, NC (2011-2012)
- Tilestone Clinic, Wilmington, NC – Pharmaceutical Patient Advocate (2009-2011). Volunteered in preparing applications for chronic medication assistance to pharmaceutical companies on behalf of low-income patients